Thursday, January 13, 2011

Our Self-Esteem

Today, we read the book I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem by Jamie Lee Curtis. What an amazing book! It talks about all of the times in a child's life when they may not like themselves, though they should, even when it may be extremely difficult. As a follow-up activity, I had them write an "I'm gonna like me" statement and the results were somewhat shocking. I think that sometimes we go through our day-to-day routines here at school, and forget to see what types of pressure these wonderful children put themselves under. Here are a few of their statements:

-I'm gonna like me even if I'm wrong.
-I'm gonna like me even if I get PR's on my report card.
-I'm gonna like me even when I like pink (written by a male student).
-I'm gonna like me if I like football (written by a female student).
-I'm gonna like me even if I don't score a goal.
-I'm gonna like me even when I fail a test.
-I'm gonna like me even when people make fun of me for being scared of butterflies and ladybugs.
-I'm gonna like me because I'm going to be a black belt.

Wow! I think that the words they picked are very powerful. I ended the lesson by letting them know that no matter what they do, they should LOVE themselves for who they are, which is fantastic!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment