Monday, February 14, 2011

A Tear To My Eye

Every once in a while, while reading a professional book, I stumble upon a few words that will reaffirm my love of my students and my teaching. I was reading a book called "The Complete Year in Reading and Writing: Grade 2", and there is a description of a second grader that really caught my attention. I thought I would share it all with you, since I am so blessed that you share your second graders with me.

"The second grader, with his gap-toothed smile, is a physical marvel...he is able to think outside the concrete experience of his in-the-moment life, and to plan ahead. He can envision what is not yet there. As a result, he worries about things more than ever before. What will happen if Mom is not there to meet him when he gets off the school bus? What if his playdate goes badly? Second graders worry, but they also revel in the life-rich moments that are special to that age. An ice cream cone with a grandparent, a subway ride with mom: these moments are grand adventures. Second graders are cuddly and cozy, and an inch closer to you as read-aloud begins. They are just learning the pleasures of a good joke, and no one will laugh harder or louder at the funny parts in a book. They are your best buddies and true companions."

-Patty Vitale-Reilly and Pam Allyn

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting that. So well put.
    C Shetler

    ReplyDelete